Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Two terraces of eight and three houses on west side of Charles Street Great, built c.1870, being two-bay single-storey over raised basements, and having rear returns. Pitched slate or replacement tile roofs with terracotta ridge tiles and red brick or rendered chimneystacks, with clay chimney pots. Roofs set behind parapet walls with granite copings. Red brick facades, laid in Flemish bond. Smooth rendered, brick or rusticated granite to basement levels. Four houses have decorative brick cornices. Brick or render to rear elevations. Square-headed window openings with brick reveals, painted granite sills, and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows with convex horns or replacement uPVC or aluminium. Round-arch stair windows to rear elevations of some houses, with stained-glass margin lights to sash windows. Round-arch door openings with rendered surrounds. Two houses have rope-moulded surrounds. Timber doorcases comprising flat-panelled pilasters, acanthus-leaf console brackets and plain fanlights. Variety of doors. Original door type has four flat panels with central filet moulding. Doors open onto granite platforms and steps, guarded by wrought-iron railings. Basement wells enclosed by painted granite plinth walls with wrought-iron railings. Sites to rear of Nos 35 to 42 bounded by pebble-dashed wall with pedestrian lane behind, accessed from Emmet Street.
These later nineteenth-century houses differ in scale and style to the Georgian-style townhouses across the street. Each house within the group has a similar composition of a single-storey over a raised basement – a form that became popular in Dublin from the 1830s. Notable features include the original doorcases and surviving panelled doors, examples of which can be seen at Nos 37 and 39, and the two-over-two timber sash windows at Nos 38 and 41. These features greatly enhance the terrace's visual character.