Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Group of four terraced two-bay two-storey houses over basements, built c.1870, with gardens to front. M-profile pitched tiled roofs with terracotta ridge tiles. Brick chimneystacks with yellow brick string courses and red brick saw-tooth cornices, clay chimney pots, and copper flashing. Cast-iron and replacement rainwater goods. Red brick facades, laid in Flemish bond, with painted chamfered granite string courses and smooth and roughcast render to basements. Square-headed window openings with brick reveals, painted brick arch-heads, painted granite sills. One-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns to No. 536. Replacement uPVC windows to other houses in terrace. Stilted segmental-headed door openings with brick reveals, painted brick arch-heads, timber doorcases with pilasters, acanthus-leaf console brackets, friezes and moulded cornices. Timber flat-panelled doors to Nos 535 and 536. Replacement panelled timber doors to Nos 538 and 540. Console brackets missing to doorcase of No. 540 and hood replaced. Doors open to shared concrete platforms and steps. Wrought-iron handrails, rails and uprights enclose steps and divide platforms. Cast-iron boot-scraper to platform between Nos 534 and 536. Square-headed door openings to basements with variety of timber doors. Hard landscaping to front gardens. Sites are bounded to North Circular Road by concrete plinth walls with wrought-iron railings and pedestrian gates having cast-iron fleur-de-lys finials.
Although modified over the years, the houses in this group still retain their historic character and contribute to the quality of the streetscape. Their doorcases, with stilted segmental arch-heads and acanthus-leaf console brackets, are a good feature. So too are the entrance platforms, shared boot-scraper and boundary railings that line the pavement. The houses have a different architectural character to the early nineteenth-century properties of the area.