Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1900 - 1910
Cast-iron pillar box, erected c.1905, bearing royal insignia of King Edward VII. Fluted frieze below cap. Letter box opening flanked by raised lettering reading 'Post Office'. Insignia on door panel comprises intertwined letters 'E VII R' and crown motif. Manufacturer's mark to base reads 'Handyside Derby & London'. Pillar box painted green, with black base.
The pillar box on the southern side of the North Circular Road, outside No. 530, was erected during the reign of King Edward VII, a son of Queen Victoria. He remained on the throne for a relatively short period, from January 1901 until his death in May 1910. The letterbox has survived the transition to Independence and remains in good condition today and is still in use. The box is well made from cast iron, with the usual royal monogram, providing decorative as well as historical interest.