Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1880 - 1900


315777, 235780

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey former house, built c.1890, with shopfront to ground floor. Now in use as flats. Pitched tiled roof with terracotta ridge tiles, brick chimneystack with clay chimneypots to centre of ridge, and cast-iron and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Roof set behind parapet wall with granite coping. Red brick facade, laid in Flemish bond. Brick quoins to party wall to west. Ovolo-moulded brick cornice course below coping of parapet. Yellow brick to rear elevation and return. Segmental-arch window openings to facade with ovolo-moulded brick reveals and soffits, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Flat-arch brick openings with granite sills and replacement uPVC windows to rear elevation and return. Shopfront to ground floor with three painted fluted timber pilasters rising to timber fascia. Fascia terminated to each end by house-shaped terminal with console bracket. Square-headed replacement panelled door to east end with plain fanlight. Four-light timber display window. Segmental-arch door opening to house with ovolo-moulded reveals and soffit, panelled door and fanlight. Rear site bounded by concrete block wall.


This red brick house is one of a group of three terraced dwellings with shopfronts to the ground floor. They form a block at the southern corner of the North Circular Road and Dorset Street, making a significant impression on the streetscape. The houses follow the composition of earlier terraced houses of the eighteen and early nineteenth centuries in the area, but their machine-cut bricks and segmental-arch window openings give them a later character. This building is notable for its simple shopfront which has plain rendered pilasters and a four-light display window.