Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1880
Terrace comprising forty-four two-bay single-storey red brick houses, built c.1875, some with half-dormer attics, and abutted by single and two-storey returns and modern extensions to rear. M-profiled artificial slate roofs behind solid red brick parapets with stone copings over largely cogged brick eaves, with grey angled ridge-tiles, generally cast-iron rainwater goods, but with some replacement metal or uPVC. Red brick chimneystacks to alternating party walls and return gables, with cogged copings and clay pots (some modern rebuilds and some with replacement pots). Walling is largely red brick laid to Flemish bond, generally over offset painted granite plinth, with some yellow/black brick dressings. Smooth rendered and painted to rear walls. Some elevations painted or rebuilt using modern red bricks. Segmental-headed window openings, with brick voussoirs, stone sills, north reveals largely rendered and painted; some altered or enlarged to square-headed openings. Windows generally replacement uPVC, with some original and replacement timber sliding sashes (two-over-two pane original to Nos 5 and 8). Round-headed door openings with brick voussoirs, some segmental-headed to northeast and some decorative brick architraves. Doorcases generally comprise panelled or moulded pilasters, with foliate consoles with cornices and fanlights. Large number of doorcases removed or have modern replacements. Doors largely replacement uPVC or timber. Some timber-panelled originals remain. Some buildings altered to contain recessed porches, with modern doorcase surrounds and fanlights. Set back from pavement behind largely matching cast-iron railings over stone plinths, with pedestrian gates (some having modern sections). Some granite doorsteps and diamond-patterned yellow and orange tiles to footpaths. Individual rear yards with shared alleyways to north and south. Similar terraces to north (50060620) and northwest (50060666). Rear of south terrace backs onto Blessington Street Basin.
A neatly-proportioned terrace of single-storey red brick houses, located on the northeastern and southern sides of Geraldine Street. Their integrity has been degraded by the loss of historic fabric, coupled with modern alterations and rebuilding, particularly on the southern terraces. However, collectively, with other nearby terraces, the essential character of the streetscape has been retained. The terrace represents a significant part of the large-scale domestic development scheme for this area between Blessington Basin and North Circular Road, during the late nineteenth century. It was here that the Gardiner Estate, in the eighteenth century, proposed to build the Royal Circus.