Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1880
Terrace comprising seven two-bay single-storey red brick houses, built c.1875, abutted by single and two-storey returns and modern extensions to rear. M-profiled artificial slate roofs behind solid red brick parapets with stone copings over yellow brick corbelled eaves, with raised verges to gable ends. Grey angled ridge-tiles, and roof-lights to rear, and generally replacement metal/uPVC rainwater goods. Red brick chimneystacks, generally with cogged copings and clay pots (some modern rebuilds or rendered). Walling is red brick laid to Flemish bond over offset painted granite plinth, with some yellow brick dressings. Smooth rendered and painted to rear walls. Segmental-headed window openings, with red brick voussoirs, stone sills, and some rendered and painted reveals. Windows generally replacement uPVC, but with some original and replacement two-over-two pane timber sliding sashes. Round-headed door openings with brick voussoirs, doors recessed within rounded yellow brick architraves to west and stepped and chamfered to east. Timber frames carry moulded cornices with fanlights. Doors generally six-panelled timber replacements, with granite step. Nos 52 and 53 are end-of-terrace, at junction with Goldsmith Street. Houses set back from pavement behind largely matching cast-iron railings over stone plinths and pedestrian gates to east (some modern sections). Some cast-iron boot-scrapers retained and diamond-patterned yellow and orange tiles to some paths. Individual rear yards with shared alleyways to north. Similar terrace abuts to east (50060624). Western end bounded by rendered wall of neighbouring park, with entrance piers to southwest at end of Geraldine Street.
A neatly-proportioned late nineteenth-century terrace of single-storey red brick houses, located on the northwestern end of Geraldine Street, flanking the junction with Goldsmith Street. Their integrity has been diluted by the loss of historic fabric. However, in conjunction with similar nearby terraces, their essential character has been retained, making a strong contribution to the local townscape. The terrace forms an important part of a large-scale nineteenth-century residential development scheme, which encompassed an area of former farmland from Blessington Basin to North Circular Road.It was here that the Gardiner Estate,in the eighteenth century, proposed to build the Royal Circus.