Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Terrace comprising eleven two-bay single-storey red brick houses, two stories at the rear, built c.1870, abutted to rear by range of pitched-roof returns and extensions. M-profile artificial slate roofs, with grey angled ridge-tiles, painted yellow brick corbels to eaves, and generally half-round cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick chimneystacks with brick corbels and clay pots (some replacement pots). Walling is red brick laid to Flemish bond over offset painted granite plinth and rendered base course. Smooth rendered and painted rear walls and gables. Square-headed window openings, with red and yellow brick voussoirs, painted stone sills and some rendered and painted reveals. Windows are one-over-one pane timber sliding sashes, many with original glass and internal timber panelled shutters retained; others are replacement uPVC. No. 13 is three bays wide. Round-headed door openings, with brick voussoirs, accessed via granite steps and platform, with some cast-iron boot-scrapers retained. Doorcases generally comprise panelled pilasters with foliate consoles, having moulded cornices and fanlights; some doorcase elements removed or modern replacements inserted. Generally four-panelled bolection-moulded doors, with some replacements; others have decorative leaded glass inserts. Set back from pavement behind largely matching cast-iron railings over stone plinths and some pedestrian gates (a few modern replacements). Diamond-patterned yellow and orange tiles to some paths. Individual yards with shared alleyways to rear. Southwest abutted by two-storey terraces (50060270 and 50060269). Similar single-storey terrace located to south on O’Connell Avenue (50060620).
A neatly-proportioned late nineteenth-century terrace red brick houses, characterised by balanced proportions and decorative brick detailing. The integrity has been diluted by a loss of some historic fabric coupled with modern insertions and alterations. However, the essential character has been retained, and the terrace makes a contribution to the local townscape. It forms an important part of a large-scale nineteenth-century residential development, which encompassed an area of former farmland from Blessington Basin to North Circular Road. It was here that the Gardiner Estate proposed to build the Royal Circus in the eighteenth century.