Survey Data

Reg No

50060618


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


Date

1870 - 1890


Coordinates

315892, 235728


Date Recorded

03/09/2014


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terrace comprising six two-bay two-storey red brick houses over basements, built c.1880. Pitched slate roofs, with grey angled ridge-tiles, and generally ogee cast-iron rainwater goods on cogged brick eaves. Red brick chimneystacks alternating between full-sized and diminutive, with moulded and cogged copings and clay pots. Walling is red brick laid to Flemish bond over painted ruled and lined render to exposed basement, with masonry string course over. Segmental-headed window openings, with brick voussoirs, stone sills and chamfered brick reveals. Square-headed openings to basement with plain reveals. Windows generally one-over-one pane timber sliding sashes, two-over-two to basement with iron bars affixed, and replacement uPVC. Round-headed door opening to recessed porches, with brick voussoirs and moulded brick architraves; barrel-vaulted ceiling to east porch interiors, lacking over-lights. Generally original four-panelled bolection-moulded timber doors, moulded and timber panelled doorcases, with margin and over-lights with some original glass. Set back from pavement behind matching arrow-headed cast-iron railings over stone plinths, some with stone steps, pedestrian gates and stair railings retained. Generally rendered stone steps and paired platforms leading to doorways, with largely modern basement doors to stair cheeks, but with some ledged and braced doors. Rear gardens bounded by rubble stone walls with modern garages inserted.

Appraisal

A late nineteenth-century terrace of red brick houses, which have generally been converted into apartments. Erected in the Victorian style, the terrace is distinguished by a coherent fa├žade of balanced proportions and the use of restrained detailing devices. There has been some loss of historic fabric but this is largely limited to the easternmost terrace and therefore the impact on the overall character is lessened. Representative of late nineteenth-century development of North Circular Road, the terrace is an important feature within the streetscape and is enriched by the Georgian terrace abutting to the west.