Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Terrace of ten two-bay two-storey red brick houses, with half-dormer attics, built c.1890, collectively known as Benedict's Terrace. Pitched, generally artificial slate roofs, grey angled ridge-tiles, Velux windows, gabled half-dormers to rear, and with replacement metal and uPVC rainwater goods on corbels over cogged brick eaves. Red brick chimneystacks (pair rendered), with moulded copings and generally replacement pots. Walling is red brick laid to Flemish bond over offset yellow brick plinth, English Garden wall bonded yellow brick with red brick dressings to west and rear, and roughcast to east. Segmental-headed window openings, with brick voussoirs and stone sills. Canted bay red brick windows to ground floors; timber panelled bay windows to first floor south, hipped slate roof over all. Windows are combination of uPVC replacements and timber sliding sashes (some original), one-over-one pane generally, some two-over-two pane to south. Segmental-headed porch openings, having brick string coursed and hood-mouldings over, orange and black ceramic tiles retained to some porch floors. Generally original four-panelled timber doors, some replacement or modified, in square-headed timber doorcases with margin lights over timber panelled aprons and with over-lights. Some porches enclosed with modern metal-and-glazed doors and surrounds. Set back from pavement behind matching arrow-headed cast-iron railings over stone plinths, with pedestrian gates carried on foliate round-headed piers. Generally stone steps and platforms to doorways, flanked to outer edge by dwarf brick walls with moulded granite copings. Some cast-iron boot-scrapers retained. Rear gardens enclosed by yellow brick walls. Pairs of pitched outbuildings abut rear elevations, largely modernised or replaced.
Saint Benedict's Terrace comprises ten red brick houses, characterised by balanced proportions and Victorian stylistic devices. There has been some loss of historic fabric to a number of the houses, particularly to the east, which detracts from the overall integrity of the terrace. However, the general character of the composition still remains largely intact, aided by the retention of unifying features, such as original cast-iron railings, canted bays to the principal elevations and a number of good doorcases. Representative of the development of this section of North Circular Road during the late nineteenth century, the terrace constitutes an important feature within the streetscape.