Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1895
Terrace comprising seven two-bay two-storey red brick houses, built c.1885, with two-storey returns to rear. M-profiled artificial slate roof, hipped to west, with grey angled ridge-tiles, and with generally ogee cast-iron rainwater goods on decorative cogged brick eaves. Red brick chimneystacks, some rebuilt, with cogged coping, clay pots. Walling is red brick laid to Flemish bond, generally over offset granite plinth, with yellow brick dressings. Smooth-rendered walling to rear. No. 12 recently tuck-pointed. Segmental-headed window openings, with yellow and red brick voussoirs and stone sills, and square-headed openings to rear. Windows are mix of replacement uPVC and original one-over-one pane sliding timber sashes. Canted red brick bay window to No. 11, replacement uPVC windows and upstands to No.14. Round-headed door openings with brick voussoired heads, panelled pilasters, foliate consoles and cornice with fanlight over, generally with original glass. Some original four-panelled bolection-moulded doors; others have decorative glazing inserts or are timber replacements. Set back from pavement behind matching cast-iron railings over stone plinth, generally with granite steps, diamond-patterned black and orange tiles to paths, pedestrian gates and stair railings retained. No. 10 is end-of-terrace, addressing Goldsmith Street. Rear yards bound by brick walls and accessed via shared alleyway to south.
A late nineteenth-century terrace of red brick houses, which are retained as single occupancy and are enlivened by decorative yellow brick detailing and embellished doorcases. Despite some loss of historic detailing and fabric, including the widespread insertion of replacement uPVC windows and artificial slate roofs, the overall character remains largely intact. Characteristic of late nineteenth-century urban domestic architecture, the terrace makes a contribution to the townscape, further diversifying the character of the area.