Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1895
Terrace comprising eight two-bay two-storey red brick houses, built c.1885, each with full-height return to rear. M-profile-hipped artificial slate roofs, with grey and terracotta angled ridge-tiles and generally replacement metal rainwater goods on decorative cogged brick eaves. Red brick chimneystacks, with cogged coping and clay pots (some replacement). Walling is red brick laid to Flemish bond over offset painted masonry plinth, with yellow brick dressings, and roughcast rendered to rear walls. Segmental-headed window openings, with yellow and red brick voussoirs and stone sills, with square-headed openings to rear, all with replacement uPVC frames. Number of modified canted bay windows, fully glazed with replacement uPVC or metal upstands. Segmental-headed door openings with brick voussoirs and brick architraves, and having largely timber panelled replacement doors, (some original), flanked by panelled pilasters and foliate consoles, with moulded cornice and fanlight over, some with original glass. Set back from pavement behind generally matching cast-iron railings over stone plinth, with some modern insertions. Granite or rendered steps with some cast-iron boot-scrapers and diamond-patterned yellow and orange clay tiles to footpaths. No. 9 is end-of-terrace, addressing Goldsmith Street. No.2 is abutted by lower red brick terrace on Berkeley Road dating from around the same period. Rear yards bound by rendered walls with modern garages inserted and accessed via shared alleyway to north.
A late nineteenth-century terrace of red brick houses, characterised by balanced proportions, decorative brick detailing and embellished doorcases. Integrity has been degraded by a loss of historic fabric, coupled with modern insertions, including some door surrounds and canted bay windows. However, the general character is retained and in conjunction with the terrace opposite (50060612), the street forms an important part of the late nineteenth-century redevelopment of this area east of the Royal Canal and south of North Circular Road.