Categories of Special Interest
1740 - 1750
Attached remains of two-bay townhouse over raised basement, built c.1745. Currently derelict. Upper storeys removed, mono-pitched corrugated-iron roof on timber structure partially covers first floor. Some replacement uPVC rainwater goods to south. Painted red brick walling laid to Flemish bond over random coursed roughly squared limestone rubble basement. Upper section of facade built up to roof level with concrete blocks. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs and painted stone sills; all openings infilled. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and painted masonry doorcase comprising pole-moulded architraves, with engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting fluted frieze embellished with rosettes. Fanlight blocked and door replaced with temporary door. Door accessed by four granite steps and platform. Opening to basement enclosed by cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall. Opening to basement covered by temporary covering. Saint Saviour’s Gothic Revival priory (50010660)located to immediate south.
The last surviving example of a Georgian townhouse on this section of Dorset Street, it would have formed part of a terrace of similar buildings. While the group value of the building has been lost, individual significance has subsequently increased. The integrity of the building has been significantly compromised by the partial demolition/collapse of the upper storeys and is further degraded by the blocking of window openings. The solid masonry doorcase is an example of quality craftsmanship characteristic of the era but only a proportion of the original ensemble remains. The playwright and Westminster M.P, Richard Brinsley Sheridan, was born here in 1751.