Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social, Technical

Previous Name

North Wall Quay

Original Use


In Use As



1780 - 1820


316688, 234478

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Stone quay, built c.1800, in two section, located between Sean O'Casey Bridge and East Link bridge. Mixed cobbled, granite, sandstone and resin-bonded gravel marking modern landscaped paving scheme. Remains of old railway tracks remain embedded within paving scheme to eastern section. Steps and ramps with granite nosed boundary stones to road side. Bounded by modern steel railings. Contemporary developments and original warehouses to inner portion of quayside.


Situated next to Custom House Quay, North Wall Quay forms an important arterial link to other quays along the River Liffey. Of all the north quays, and despite widespread redevelopment, North Wall Quay retains the most obvious links with industry, being located closest to the functioning docks, and bearing remnants of nineteenth-century railway infrastructure. It also has the most open aspect of all the quays, being closer to the sea. The quays form an important part of maritime developments within the city stretching back to the thirteenth century. They are reminders of the economic and maritime development of Dublin as Ireland's principal port.