Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1930 - 1935
Cast concrete and granite road bridge, built 1932, spanning River Liffey. Approximately 56 metres long and comprising three shallow segmental arches, that to centre being larger. Cast concrete piers and spandrels fronted by semi-circular cut-waters. Granite cornice along deck level, central span surmounted by balustraded granite parapet, running to curved solid parapets and abutments to each end. Replacement masonry to exterior west side of southernmost arch. Strip lighting along exterior of deck on both sides. Masonry steps to west side of northernmost arch leading to water. Carries four lanes of traffic over Liffey between Beresford Place to north and Tara Street to south. Liffey Viaduct located immediately to east.
An early twentieth-century bridge, whose elegant appearance belies its construction in ferro-concrete, albeit topped with granite detailing. Designed by Joseph Mallagh, chief engineer to the Port & Docks Board, and Pierce Purcell, Consultant. It replaced an earlier swivel bridge of c.1877, which was decommissioned c.1888. It carries traffic between Beresford Place and Tara Street and, along with a number of other bridges over the Liffey, remains a functional city landmark, contributing to the architectural and transport heritage of the city.