Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Social Technical
In Use As
1800 - 1810
Granite ashlar quay, built c.1805, one of several continuous quays that define north side of Liffey in Dublin city centre. Quay walls are ashlar granite blocks with saddle-back finish, ramped in places. North side bounded by flagstone pavement with granite kerbs, with steel flagpoles adjacent. Modern steel and timber boardwalk affixed to river side of quay wall.
Eden Quay forms an important arterial route with several other quays through central Dublin, articulating the north side of the Liffey. It was constructed in the early nineteenth century, replacing the former Iron Quay and North Wall slip. This area is indicated by Rocque's 1756 map to have been occupied by ship building and repair yards. Despite the difference in date, they present a unified river frontage through the city centre, and are reminders of the economic and maritime development of Dublin as Ireland's principal port.