Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Granite ashlar quay, built c.1800, one of several continuous quays lining north side of River Liffey in Dublin city centre. Ashlar granite quay walls with saddle-back finish, timber boardwalk on steel framework to south side. Iron stays to ladder descending to water level. Quay wall breached by entrance to Millenium Bridge, a prefabricated steel truss bridge supported on granite piers. Boardwalk to river side. Bounded at north side by tarmac pavement.
Ormond Quay Lower is one of several quays along the River Liffey, part of maritime developments within the city stretching back to the thirteenth century. This structure dates from the early nineteenth century and stretches from Essex Bridge to the Ha’penny Bridge. Since c.2000 it has been connected to Wellington Quay on the south side by Millenium Bridge. The quays are reminders of the economic and maritime development of Dublin city as Ireland’s principal port, and as good examples of nineteenth-century engineering.