Survey Data

Reg No

50060541


Rating

Local


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1950 - 1960


Coordinates

315772, 234463


Date Recorded

27/07/2014


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced six-bay five-storey commercial building over basement, built c.1955, with replacement shopfront. Flat roof with concealed rainwater goods. Frame construction with curtain glazing strips to each floor. Frame clad in thin painted stone tiles to upper floors. Square-headed horizontal curtain glazing to second, third and fourth floors, with projecting concrete surrounds, having six timber-framed one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, with continuous concrete sill and full width apron-fascia. Replacement timber casement to first floor. Replacement glazed timber door to east, serving upper floors. Basement concealed under pavement and glass tiles.

Appraisal

One of a pair of similar commercial buildings. They are good representative examples of the Modernist style, displaying a range of materials typical of the period, with frame construction and strip glazing. The use of timber sliding sash windows is a rather incongruous choice, given the period, but, along with openings that gradually diminish in height, it is perhaps a nod to its predecessor, and the remaining Georgian buildings on the street.