Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1950 - 1960
Terraced six-bay five-storey commercial building over basement, built c.1955. Flat roof with concealed rainwater goods. Frame construction with curtain glazing strips to each floor. Frame clad in thin stone tiles to upper floors. Square-headed horizontal curtain glazing to top three floors, with projecting concrete surrounds, all divided into six timber-framed bays, with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with full-width polished stone aprons. Replacement timber casement to first floor. Shopfront of glazed black tiles, with plate-glass window, plastic fascia, and original double-leaf polished timber panelled doors with brass furniture. Basement concealed under pavement and glass tiles.
One of a pair of similar commercial buildings. They are good representative examples of the Modernist style, displaying a range of materials typical of the period, with frame construction and strip glazing. The use of timber sliding sash windows is a rather incongruous choice, given the period, but, along with openings that gradually diminish in height, it is perhaps a nod to its predecessor, and the remaining Georgian buildings on the street. It retains a number of original features, including glazed tiled shopfront and polished timber doors.