Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1720 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house with shop on ground floor, built c.1740 and refaced c.1830. Pitched roof behind brick parapet with granite coping. Rebuilt brick chimneystack to south gable. Concealed rainwater goods. Brown brick walling laid in English bond, painted to ground floor either side of shopfront. Square-headed window openings, with brick reveals, voussoirs, granite sills, and timber six-over-six pane sliding sash windows with horns. Timber shopfront having plate-glass windows on panelled timber stall-risers, with slender fluted and clustered half-engaged supporting timber fascia with modern fixed lettering, recessed modern door accessed by original limestone step.
According to the Dublin Civic Trust's 'Survey of gable-fronted and other early buildings of Dublin' (2012), this building may conceal an early to mid-eighteenth-century house, as suggested by the proportions, roof form and large chimneystack. An appealing Georgian brick building located on Liffey Street Lower, it is one of several historic buildings in this bustling commercial street, characterised by a sense of enclosure on approach to the Ha'penny Bridge. It is much enhanced by the retention of historic shopfront elements and timber sash windows.