Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1915 - 1925
Terraced single-bay four-storey commercial building, built c.1920, with replacement timber shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof concealed behind brick parapet, with granite coping and concealed rainwater goods. Red brick cladding over frame construction to upper floors, laid in stretcher bond. Advanced ashlar granite banded pilaster strips to either side with geometric motif to top, supporting ashlar granite cornice; ashlar granite banding either side of sill level at each floor. Three-storey curtain walling panel comprises square-headed timber-framed transomed-and-mullioned casement window (with advanced central bay) to each floor, each with rendered apron panel embellished with swags and wreaths. Original ashlar granite pilasters with fluted console brackets to shopfront, with steel shuttering to openings.
The central unit, attributed to G.L.O'Connor, of a group of three similar early twentieth-century commercial buildings located near the junction of O'Connell Street and Abbey Street. It dates from the period of rebuilding following the 1916 Rising and is a good example of early frame construction, enabling the distinctive window to wall ratio that characterises the group. Its triple-height oriel window feature, with swag and wreath ornament, is attractive. The retention of granite pilasters and consoles enhances the building.