Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical
In Use As
1915 - 1920
Terraced single-bay four-storey commercial building, built c.1920, with shopfront to ground floor. Originally in retail use, now forming part of larger banking premises accessed from O'Connell Street. Topped by late twentieth-century set-back attic extension (also spanning adjoining building). Original roof gone, extension fully slated. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, with advanced banded red brick quoin strips with panelled ashlar granite capitals supporting granite modillion cornice rising to brick parapet with raked granite top. Modern timber shopfront with original deep ashlar granite fascia flanked by terminating piers, with modern signage affixed. Pair of square-headed window openings to third floor, spanned by ashlar granite lintel course and having granite sills. Two-tier timber oriel window to first and second floors, with timber cornice, panelled apron between tiers, and supported on simple granite corbel. Multiple-pane transomed and mullioned timber casement windows throughout upper floors.
An attractive early twentieth-century commercial building by W.M. Mitchell & Sons, built c.1918 in a similar style to its neighbour at Number 1, which was built a year earlier by McDonnell & Dixon. Although it has borrowed stylistic devices from the adjoining building, displaying the same eclectic influences, the result is rather less successful, and more restrained. Nonetheless, this is an appealing building which enlivens the historic streetscape in this area of north central Dublin.