Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1810, with shopfront to ground floor. Now in commercial use, with flats over. Roof concealed behind brick parapet with granite coping, with shared brick chimneystack to south side, and having cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walling laid to Flemish bond to upper floors. Diminishing square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, brick reveals, granite sills and timber one-over-one pane sliding sash windows with horns. Modern timber and glazed shopfront with oversize fascia. Modern timber panelled door to north side to accommodation on upper floors. Fronts directly onto street.
A brick terraced building representative of the standard form, detailing and proportion of nineteenth-century Georgian terraces in central Dublin, having combined commercial and residential use. The building contributes to the architectural character of Capel Street, one of Dublin's oldest commercial areas.