Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1810, with shopfront to ground floor. Shop currently vacant. Apartments over. Roof concealed behind rebuilt red brick parapet with masonry coping. Concealed rainwater goods. Brown brick walling laid to Flemish bond to upper floors. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs (replaced in red brick to third floor), painted rendered reveals, granite sills and timber six-over-six pane sliding sash windows with horns. Traditional-style timber shopfront flanked by panelled timber pilasters topped by scrolled console brackets, plain frieze and dentil cornice over fully glazed display windows and entrance door. Modern timber panelled door with plain over-light leading to upper floors at west. Fronts directly onto street.
A fine brick terraced building representative of the standard form, detailing and proportion of nineteenth-century Georgian terraces in central Dublin, having combined commercial and residential use. The building benefits greatly from the retention of timber sash windows, and is well maintained. It contributes significantly to the historic built form of Mary Street, located in Capel Street ACA, one of Dublin's oldest commercial areas.