Categories of Special Interest
O'Brien's Mineral Waters / Goodalls of Ireland Ltd
1850 - 1870
Attached two-storey stable block, built c. 1860, having four-bay ground floor and five-bay first floor, with former carriage archway to middle of west end. Used from 1933 as warehouse. Now vacant and partially derelict. Roof concealed behind red brick parapet and having cast-iron and replacement uPVC rainwater goods with moulded hopper. Yellow brick walling laid in English bond, having red brick dressings to openings, chamfered plinth and gauged brick string course at first floor sill level. Painted lettering reading 'Goodalls of Ireland Ltd' between floors, over faint traces of lettering for earlier occupants. Square-headed metal casement windows to first floor at west end; segmental-headed timber casements to east end, one with sill dropped to form loading door, and all having ventilation opes above. Segmental-headed openings to ground floor, now infilled with concrete block, former carriage archway having moulded keystone.
This building was erected as a stable block for O’Brien’s Mineral Waters, and was later used as a warehouse for Goodalls of Ireland. The polychrome brick detailing is appealing, and although the building is disused and somewhat altered, its original form is retained, as is the carriage archway and painted signs for O’Brien’s and Goodalls, recalling the former occupants. The building was the scene of fighting during the 1916 Rising. Rocque's map (1756) indicates that Henry Place and Moore Street bounded the site of a brickworks, likely to have supplied brick for the development of this historic area.