Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1670 - 1780


315342, 234543

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1670-90 and rebuilt c.1760, having two shopfronts to ground floor. Upper floors now disused. Roof and rainwater goods concealed behind brick parapet with granite coping. Red brick walling laid to English bond to upper floors. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, brick reveals, granite sills and replacement timber and fixed-pane windows. Two doors integrated to modern aluminium shopfronts. Building fronts directly onto street.


The 'Survey of Gable-fronted and Other Early Buildings of Dublin', by Dublin Civic Trust in 2012, states 'The unusually broad width of the plot of No.46, along with a chimneystack in the centre of the plan and another to the rear wall, suggests a substantial house, or part of an even larger house, of the late seventeenth or early eighteenth centuries. This is corroborated by Rocque’s map of 1756, which depicts a large plot that appears to absorb No.46 and the adjacent building plot at No.47. This in turn sits next to an equally large house that would now cover two modern-day plots at No.48. It is therefore likely that No.46 was subdivided from the larger house in the second half of the eighteenth-century.' The building contributes to the historic built form of Capel Street ACA.