Categories of Special Interest
1685 - 1900
Ruinous end-of-terrace single-bay three-storey house, built 1688, and refaced c.1830 and c.1890, with shopfront to ground floor. Part of terrace extending from Capel Street to Ryder’s Row. Steel bracing visible to front (south) and east elevations. Remains of pitched slate roof visible behind remains of brick parapet. Vestigial brick chimneystack to east. Rainwater goods missing. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond to first floor, brown and yellow brick to second floor laid in English bond. Rear (north) elevation rendered and painted with advertising. East elevation formerly party wall with adjoining building, partially collapsed. Square-headed window openings with plain reveals, granite sills and with remains of timber frames to second floor only. Street fronted, currently enclosed by hoarding.
This is a late seventeenth-century house, as shown by its large chimneystack with early red brick, and the gabled rear elevation. It was apparently refaced twice during the nineteenth century, as shown by the change of brickwork on the southfacing elevation. Now quite ruined, this building is an important early survivor on the street, all buildings to the east having been demolished.