Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1690 - 1730
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1710. Refaced c.1960, with apartments to upper floors and commercial use to ground floor, with replacement timber shopfront. Replacement hipped slate roof with angled ridge and hip tiles, concealed by rendered parapet with granite coping. Parapet gutters. Unpainted rendered walling to upper floors. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in size to top floor, with plain reveals, granite sills, and replacement tripartite six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows with two-over-two sidelights. Ground floor has square-headed entrance doorway, having moulded reconstituted stone surround with decorative key block, and replacement panelled timber door.
Dublin Civic Trust in 'Survey of gable-fronted and other early buildings of Dublin' states, 'The mid twentieth-century façade of this former house and its neighbour at No.87 is likely to conceal an early eighteenth-century house, the roof plan being the only external indicator of this typology. The house had an extensive section of raised and fielded panelling and a staircase of c.1730 removed in 1990.' Together with the neighbouring building, the pair is an interesting addition to the street's historic character.