Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
1840 - 1905
Two railway bridges, eastern carrying Dublin and Drogheda Railway, built 1842, and western carrying Great Southern and Western Railway (and now, the DART line) built 1903, both spanning Ossory Road and Liffey Line of Midland Great Western Railway and Royal Canal. Earlier bridge comprises central coursed masonry piers and outer vaulted underpasses carrying superstructure of iron girders and trusses. Underpass to northeast over Ossory Road and second to southwest over Royal Canal tow-path. Random-coursed rock-faced masonry blocks to piers of underpasses. Cut-stone soffits, and cut-stone voussoirs to arches with plat-band and random-coursed stone parapet to west. Bridge extension to east comprising concrete piers and concrete deck superstructure. Later bridge comprises two central round-plan steel piers with outer rock-faced coursed masonry piers supporting girders of bridge with trusses to sides. Plates and rivets hold iron members in place. Steel parapet wall and railings to span over Ossory Road. Electrical power cables supported on steel uprights above bridge.
These bridges were built at different stages. The first, lying to the east, was designed by engineer John Mac Neill and opened in 1844 and the second, to the west, opened six decades later in 1906. Both structures are of technical and social interest and are part of Ireland's industrial heritage. The contrast between the masonry of one and the girders of the other is technically and visually interesting and the skills used in their construction is evident. Being close to Dublin City, they have remained in continued use and are crossed daily by local commuter and regional trains.