Survey Data

Reg No

50060448


Rating

Local


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social


Previous Name

North Summer Street Schoolhouse


Original Use

School


In Use As

Office


Date

1830 - 1890


Coordinates

316427, 235482


Date Recorded

02/09/2014


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced four-bay two-storey over basement former school, built c.1860, with two-storey return to rear. Now used as commercial offices. M-profile pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles, brick chimneystacks with clay chimney pots to gables, and with replacement rainwater goods. Roof set behind parapet wall with granite coping. Painted brick, laid in Flemish bond, with painted granite string course over smooth-rendered plinth. Brick to gables. Random-coursed rubble stone to rear elevation and elevations of two-storey return. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals, painted stone sills and replacement two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns. Three-over-three pane timber sliding sash window to basement. Exposed flat brick arches and brick reveals window openings to rear elevation and return. Segmental-arch door opening with timber doorcase having flat-panelled pilasters, fluted console brackets, flat-panelled frieze and moulded cornice, replacement panelled door and plain fanlight. Door opens onto two granite steps. Wrought-iron bars set within granite surround to basement well opening. Granite kerbstones to concrete pavement.

Appraisal

The scale of this building is unusual, the high windows perhaps reflecting its former use as a school. Map evidence seems to suggest that there were originally houses on the site. These may have been adapted or replaced to provide the current building. It has a good doorcase and replacement timber sash windows. Being four bays wide, and distinguished by a higher parapet level than surrounding buildings, it stands out from its neighbours. It is also of social interest for its historical use as school. Local information suggests that it was also once in use as a scout hall. It makes an important contribution to the character of the streetscape.