Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c.1820, with two-storey extension to rear. Now in use as flats. M-profile pitched roof tiled slate with terracotta ridge tiles and smooth-rendered chimneystacks with clay chimney pots over southwest party wall. Replacement rainwater goods. Roof set behind parapet with granite coping. Smooth-rendered facade with granite plinth course. Ruled-and-lined render to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings with smooth-rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Segmental-headed door opening with replacement doorcase, panelled door and fanlight. Door opens onto granite step. Iron bars to basement well opening set within granite surround. Cast-iron coal-hole cover set within granite flagstone to concrete pavement. Granite kerbstones to pavement. Garden to rear bounded to lane by concrete block wall with square-headed vehicular steel gate.
Number 41 is part of a group of early nineteenth-century houses at the southwest end of Summer Street North. The houses were built to accommodate the growing middle classes of the day. However, due to the decline of the inner city over the course of the nineteenth century, many townhouses subsequently became tenements. While this house has lost some of its historic fabric, it nevertheless continues to contribute to the architectural quality of the street.