Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1810 - 1830


316382, 235453

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c.1820, with three-storey extension to rear. Now in use as flats. M-profile pitched tiled roof with terracotta ridge tiles having rendered chimneystack over northeast party wall. Replacement rainwater goods. Roof set behind parapet wall with granite coping. Brick facade, laid in Flemish bond with granite plinth course and stretcher bond brickwork to rebuilt parapet. Pebble-dashed to rear elevation and extension. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals and replacement uPVC windows. Steel balconette to ground floor. Segmental-arch door opening with rendered reveals, replacement doorcase, door and spoked fanlight. Door opens onto granite step. Wrought-iron bars over basement well opening. Cast-iron coal-hole cover within granite flagstone to concrete pavement. Single-storey outbuilding to rear garden with hipped tiled roof and pebble-dashed walls. Gable to lane.


This early nineteenth-century house is located within a terrace at the southwest end of Summer Street North. The houses were built to accommodate the growing middle classes of the day. However, due to the decline of the inner city over the course of the nineteenth century, many townhouses subsequently became tenements. While this house has lost some of its historic fabric it nevertheless continues to contribute to the architectural quality of the street.