Categories of Special Interest
1850 - 1870
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey house over basement, built c.1860, with two-storey return to rear. Now vacant. M-profile pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles, smooth-rendered chimneystacks to gable having clay chimney pots, behind parapet wall with granite coping. Mono-pitch slate roof to return. Brick facade, laid in Flemish bond, with granite string course and smooth render to basement. Smooth render to gable and return and rear elevation. Square-headed window openings with brick reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening with smooth-rendered reveals, timber doorcase comprising flat-panelled pilasters with acanthus leaf console brackets, bolection-panelled door having round-headed panels to top and central fillet moulding, with replacement spoked fanlight above. Door opens onto concrete platform with granite steps. Replacement cast-iron railings on granite plinth wall.
This is one of a pair of nineteenth-century houses on the east side of Fitzgibbon Street. They are of a standard design, repeated throughout the city and particularly the Victorian suburbs. The doorcases with carved console brackets and glazed fanlights are the best features and give character to their facades, making a positive contribution to the streetscape.