Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1845 - 1855
Attached two-bay three-storey house over basement, built c.1850. Single-span pitched slate roof, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks with yellow clay pots and cast-iron rainwater goods west end. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond with channelled granite quoins to first and second floors, granite string course over cement render to ground floor, granite plinth over pebble-dashed walls to basement. Square-headed windows openings with brick voussoirs and replacement uPVC windows, having granite sills to second floor and continuous granite sill course to first floor. Elliptical-headed door opening with rendered reveals, panelled timber door, engaged Ionic columns on block bases supporting frieze and cornice and plain fanlight. Granite platform and granite steps with wrought-iron railings on moulded granite plinth to east. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth with granite coping to basement area.
Synnott Place was part of the residential development undertaken by Gardiner family in the northeastern sector of the city. It retains a terrace of fine three-storey and four-storey houses over basements, forming a pocket of grand architectural character at the edge of the city. It was part of a scheme of streets leading to a proposed circus on the site of the present Mater Hospital. The street was laid out in the 1790s as the westward continuation of Gardiner Street and the houses are typically Georgian in character, although some later infill is evident. From map evidence it appears that Nos. 4, 5 and 6 are later infills. The façade is classically restrained with ornamentation limited to the raised quoins, the rendered ground floor and elaborate doorcase.