Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1835 - 1845
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c.1840, now in use as flats. M-profile pitched artificial slate roof, rear span hipped to east end, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping. Brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots and replacement uPVC rainwater goods to west end. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond with granite plinth over cement rendered walls to basement. Square-headed windows openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed opening with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, panelled timber door, engaged Ionic columns on block bases supporting panelled timber frieze and cornice and petal fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape and mild steel railings to east. Replacement mild steel railings on moulded granite plinth to basement area.
Synnott Place was part of the residential development undertaken by Gardiner family in the northeastern sector of the city. It retains a terrace of fine three-storey and four-storey houses over basements, forming a pocket of grand architectural character at the edge of the city. It was part of a scheme of streets leading to a proposed circus on the site of the present Mater Hospital. The street was laid out in the 1790s as the westward continuation of Gardiner Street and the houses are typically Georgian in character. although some later infill is evident. There is some map evidence that this house may be later than the rest of the terrace. The façade is classically restrained with ornamentation limited to an elaborate doorcase with Ionic columns with elegant petal fanlight.