Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c.1810, now in use as flats. L-plan pitched artificial slate roof with dormer window, hipped to west end and hipped to rear, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping. Rendered brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots to east end and cast-iron rainwater goods to west end. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond over pebble-dashed walls to basement. Square-headed windows openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement windows, having cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Round-headed opening with rendered reveals, brick voussoirs, panelled timber door, Ionic columns supporting plain frieze and cornice and cobweb fanlight. Concrete flagged platform with mild steel railings on concrete plinth to west. Replacement mild steel railings and replacement concrete plinth to basement area.
Synnott Place was part of the residential development undertaken by Gardiner family in the northeastern sector of the city. It retains a terrace of fine three-storey and four-storey houses over basements, forming a pocket of grand architectural character at the edge of the city. It was part of a scheme of streets leading to a proposed circus on the site of the present Mater Hospital. The street was laid out in the 1790s as the westward continuation of Gardiner Street and the houses are typically Georgian in character, although some later infill is evident. The façade of No. 9 is classically restrained with ornamentation limited to an elaborate doorcase with fanlight and balconettes.