Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c.1810, now in use as flats. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to front (south) and gabled to rear, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping. Rendered brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots to front and brick angled chimneystack abutting rear elevation. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with granite plinth over cement rendered walls to basement. Square-headed openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and three-over-three and six-over-six timber sash windows. Round-headed opening with brick voussoirs, panelled timber door, panelled pilasters supporting anthemion impressed cornice and frieze and cobweb fanlight in coved surround. Granite platform with cast-iron boot-scraper and wrought-iron railings on cement rendered granite plinth to west. Replacement mild steel railings and replacement granite plinth to basement area.
Synnott Place was part of the residential development undertaken by Gardiner family in the northeastern sector of the city. It retains a terrace of fine three-storey and four-storey houses over basements, forming a pocket of grand architectural character at the edge of the city. It was part of a scheme of streets leading to a proposed circus on the site of the present Mater Hospital. The street was laid out in the 1790s as the westward continuation of Gardiner Street and the houses are typically Georgian in character, although some later infill is evident. The façade of No.11 is classically restrained with ornamentation limited to an elaborate doorcase with panelled pilasters and an elegant leaded fanlight. The unusual brick angled chimneystack is a common feature in the area around Dorset Street.