Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1880
Terraced two-bay two-storey house, built c.1875, with single-height canted bay with cast-iron roof cresting to front (east) elevation and return to rear elevation. M-profile pitched artificial slate roof with red brick chimneystacks with yellow clay pots and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with dog-tooth red brick eaves course supporting cast-iron gutter and granite plinth course. Segmental-headed window openings with polychromatic brick voussoirs, red brick reveals and granite sills having replacement uPVC windows, canted bay having similar detailing but with red brick voussoirs. Round-headed porch with polychromatic brick voussoirs, red brick reveals with timber panelled door framed by timber panelled pilasters with carved console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice and plain glass fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron boot-scraper, granite steps with mild steel handrail. Mild steel railings set on granite plinth to garden boundary with mild steel pedestrian gate.
No.21 is part of a terrace of five late ninteenth-century houses which maintain a similar roof line and window heights. However, individuality of design is introduced through the addition of a shopfront to No.18, a canted bay to No.21 and an extra bay to No.22. The terrace is one of a number of new streets laid near the Broadstone branch of the Royal Canal in the second half of the nineteenth century and subsequently developed with single and two-storey houses. As is typical of Victorian houses there is greater interest in decorative brickwork, with dog-tooth and polychromatic detailing to the eaves and openings, contributing to the quality to the streetscape. According to Thom's Directory, the house was occupied a Mr. Edward S. Boles in 1875 and William George Moore, photographer, in 1885.