Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1880
Corner-sited house, built c.1875, with three-bay two-storey elevation to (front) east, two-bay two-storey elevation to north and return to west elevation. M-profile pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to north end, with red brick chimneystacks and replacement rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with dog-tooth red brick eaves course and granite plinth course to north and east elevations. Cement rendered wall to west elevation. Segmental-headed window openings with polychromatic brick voussoirs, red brick reveals and granite sills having replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed porch with polychromatic brick voussoirs, red brick reveals with timber panelled door framed by timber panelled pilasters with carved console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice and plain glass fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper, granite steps with mild steel handrail. Mild steel railings set on granite plinth to garden boundary with mild steel pedestrian gate.
No.22 is part of a terrace of five late nineteenth-century houses which maintain a similar roof line and window heights. However individuality of design is introduced through the addition of a shopfront to No.18, a canted bay to No.21 and an extra bay to No.22. The terrace is one of a number of new streets laid out near the Broadstone branch of the Royal Canal in the second half of the nineteenth century and subsequently developed with single and two-storey houses. As is typical of Victorian houses, there is greater interest in decorative brickwork, with dog-tooth and polychromatic detailing to the eaves and openings, contributing to the quality to the streetscape. According to Thom's Directory, the house was occupied by James Carlyl, a newspaper manager in 1875 and James Frith, a printer in 1885.