Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (south) elevation. Now converted to apartments. M-profile pitched roof partially hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed openings to ground and first floor with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Enlarged combined replacement uPVC window and door opening to basement. Segmental-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround. Timber four-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with petal fanlight with stained-glass panes to margin. Granite platform and granite steps, shared with No. 18 to west, with wrought-iron handrail. Cast-iron railings on granite plinth course to front with matching pedestrian gate to front paved enclosed area.
No.16 Cabra Road was constructed as part of a terrace of five houses and likely the work of the same builder or developer, giving rise to a uniform terrace which maintains the same roof parapet line, window alignments and doorcases. The houses would originally have been developed for middle class families who were leaving the city for new suburban developments along key access routes or by the coast. The terrace remains relatively intact with the doorcases and timber four-panel doors of particular note. The use of stained glass, which became more common throughout the Victorian period, is evident in the margins of the fanlights.