Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1840 - 1860


314597, 235860

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited three-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850, with skewed plan angled to east corner, and having one-bay elevation to east. Now converted to apartments. Single-span hipped tiled roof, hipped to east end, hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party wall and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floor with granite quoins to east end. Granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings to ground and first floor with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded rendered reveals. Timber door with glazed panel, flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice and plain fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Replacement railings to front and cast-iron railings to east end enclosing paved front plot.


This house is successfully incorporated into its corner site by the use of granite quoins to mark the angled corner connecting the north and east elevations. It is a fine example of early Victorian architecture making an interesting visual contribution to the streetscape of both Cabra Road and Saint Peter’s Avenue. Its architectural form is derived from the Dublin townhouse, though on a more modest scale due to its location at the edge of the city. The railings provides a sense of enclosure marking out the private space associated with each house. No.24 terminates a well-composed terrace, maintaining a unified parapet line and window alignment, with some variations evident such as the design of the doorcases.