Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced three-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (south) elevation. Single-span pitched slate roof, hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party walls. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floor with rendered plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings to ground and first floor with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with horns. Replacement timber casement windows to basement, flanked by louvred shutters. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround. Timber bolection-moulded four-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice and plain fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Cast-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with moulded granite coping to front. Mild steel vehicular gates to parking area at front, supported on roughcast piers.
This early Victorian building is typical of terraced houses built as the city developed beyond the North Circular Road in the middle of the nineteenth century. It forms a significant part of the architectural heritage of Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. Of particular interest are the doorcase and cast-iron railings which are the work of skilled artisans.