Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced three-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (south) elevation. Now converted to apartments. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof, hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floor with rendered plinth course over ruled and lined rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings to ground and first floor with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded reveals. Replacement door and fanlight. Granite platform and granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall to concrete front enclosed plot.
This house is one of a pair of imposing semi-detached mid-nineteenth-century houses located on the south side of Cabra Road. The pair maintains a coherent architectural form with some slight variations. The form is characteristic of the houses that were constructed on the outskirts of the city in the second half of the nineteenth-century to house middle class families. Of particular interest are the ornate cast-iron boundary railings, the work of a skilled artisan.