Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced three-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (south) elevation. Now in use as apartments. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof, hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Cement rendered chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floor with rendered plinth course over ruled and lined cement rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings to ground and first floor with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround. Timber four-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice and petal fanlight. Granite platform and granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall to enclosed paved front plot.
This house is part of an imposing terrace of mid-nineteenth-century houses located on the south side of Cabra Road. The pair maintains a coherent architectural form with some slight variations. The form is characteristic of the houses that were constructed on the outskirts of the city in the second half of the nineteenth century to house middle class families. Of particular interest are the ornate cast-iron boundary railings and elaborate doorcase, the work of skilled artisans.