Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (south) elevation. Now in use as flats. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof, hipped to east end, hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Cement rendered chimneystacks. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floor with rendered plinth course over ruled and lined cement rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows with horns. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround and having replacement timber door and fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape having replacement uPVC entrance door beneath. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on moulded granite plinth to front enclosed area.
This early Victorian building is typical of terraced houses built as the city developed beyond the North Circular Road in the middle of the nineteenth century. It forms a significant part of the architectural heritage of Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. Some slight variations in design are evident between this house and the neighbouring terraces such as the differences in roofline, window heights and the design of the doorcase.