Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850, with return to rear (south) elevation. Now in use as flats. Single-span pitched slate roof behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Red brick chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond with rendered plinth course. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Metal window guards to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround. Timber panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with teardrop fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail having replacement uPVC door inserted beneath. Cast-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with moulded granite coping to front with matching pedestrian gate to steps. Concrete parking area open to street.
This early Victorian building is typical of terraced houses built as the city developed beyond the North Circular Road in the middle of the nineteenth century. It forms a significant part of the architectural heritage of Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. Some slight variations in design are evident between this house and the neighbouring terraces, such as the omission of the rendered wall to the basement and the difference in the window heights. The most significant architectural feature is the elaborate doorcase and teardrop fanlight, the work of skilled craftsmen.