Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1870, with return to rear (south) elevation. Now converted to apartments. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof, partially hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick laid in Flemish bond with vitrified brick string courses to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered walls to basement. Segmental-headed window openings to ground and first floor with brick voussoirs, chamfered brick reveals, granite sills and replacement two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows with horns. Recessed round-headed entrance porch with brick voussoirs and chamfered brick reveals containing square-headed four-panelled timber door with glazed sidelights and over-light. Granite platform and steps with wrought-iron handrail. Cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall to enclosed front plot.
One of a pair of well-built Victorian houses on Cabra Road, No.38 has a red brick façade enlivened by the addition of vitrified brickwork to the window and door heads. The design of Nos.38 and 40 to its immediate east came to characterize the architectural heritage of the area in the latter part of the nineteenth century. The survival of the cast-iron railings and pedestrian gates which bounded the garden areas provides a sense of enclosure marking out the private space associated with each house. Of particular note is the survival of the porch and recessed door.