Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850, with full-height extension to west incorporating original porch which formerly terminated at ground floor level. Now converted to apartments. M-profile pitched artificial slate roof partially hidden behind brick parapet wall with corniced painted masonry coping. Cement rendered chimneystacks to end and party walls. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to front (north) elevation, ground and first floors having granite quoins to east end. Granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered walls to basement. Ruled and lined cement rendered walls to west elevation. Square-headed openings, those to ground and first floor having brick voussoirs and reveals and painted granite sills, and those to basement having granite sills, all with replacement uPVC windows. Full-height raised porch to west end with cement rendered walls and balustrade and painted quoins. Round-headed door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround contains timber two-panelled door flanked by Ionic columns on block bases supporting timber frieze and cornice with anthemion fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape and coal-hole cover. Granite steps with cast-iron handrail. Rendered wall with granite coping to front enclosed parking area.
Nos.44 and 46 Cabra Road were likely constructed as a pair by the same builder or developer. They maintain a coherent architectural form, though some slight variations in the design of the entrance porches are evident. Of particular note is the entrance porch which contains a columnar doorcase complete with timber panelled door, Ionic columns and anthemion fanlight. Set back from the street within a large walled garden, it is one of the most imposing houses on Cabra Road. No.46 was named 'Winton' on the 1886 Ordnance Survey map.