Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name

Mary Villa

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1840 - 1860


314455, 235859

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached three-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1850. Now converted for use as apartments. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof partially hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Cement rendered chimneystacks and replacement uPVC rainwater goods to end wall. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to front (north) elevation, ground and first floors having rendered quoins to east and west ends. Granite plinth course over cement rendered walls to basement. Cement rendered walls to west elevation. Square-headed openings to ground and first floor with brick voussoirs and reveals, granite sills and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed openings with rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows to basement. Elliptical-arch door opening with brick voussoirs and moulded surround. Timber panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with plain fanlight. Granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape. Granite steps with wrought-iron handrail to paviored parking area enclosed with cement rendered wall having granite coping and mild steel railings.


This early Victorian house is a significant part of the architectural heritage of the Cabra Road and adds character to the streetscape. It was named 'Mary Villa' on the 1886 Ordnance Survey map. The architectural form of the house is derived from the Dublin townhouse. The survival of boundary wall around the front garden provides a sense of enclosure marking out the private space associated with the house. The restrained brick fa├žade is enlivened by the addition of the rendered quoins to each end. The cast-iron handrail is an example of high-quality craftsmanship.