Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced symmetrical three-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1840, with return to rear (north) elevation. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof, gabled to east end, partially hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks to end and party wall. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to front (south) elevation ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined cement rendered walls to basement. Brown brick laid in English Garden wall bond to east elevation. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows with horns, having iron window guards to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber two-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with cobweb fanlight. Granite platform and steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping to front.
This house is part of group of three terraced houses on the north side of Cabra Road (Nos 5, 7 and 9). The houses are a significant part of the architectural heritage of the Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. The most significant feature is the elaborate entrance which adds detail to the otherwise restrained façade. The work of skilled craftsmen it consists of an elegant timber surround and spider's-web fanlight. The simple boundary railings provide a sense of enclosure to the small front site.