Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced symmetrical three-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c.1840, with return to rear (north) elevation. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof partially hidden behind brick parapet wall with granite coping. Brick and cement rendered chimneystacks to party walls and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to ground and first floors with granite plinth course over ruled and lined rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with brick voussoirs, moulded surround and timber four-panelled door flanked by timber panelled pilasters with carved foliate console brackets supporting timber frieze and cornice with cobweb fanlight. Granite platform and steps with wrought-iron handrail. Wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth wall with granite coping to front with matching pedestrian gate.
This house is part of group of three terraced houses on the north side of Cabra Road. The houses are a significant part of the architectural heritage of the Cabra Road, adding character to the streetscape. The most significant feature is the elaborate entrance which adds detail to the otherwise restrained façade. The work of skilled craftsmen, it consists of an elegant timber surround and cobweb fanlight. The simple boundary railings provide a sense of enclosure to the small front site.